Thursday 8 March 2007

Nothing much happening

In the evenings I've been leaving the University after 6.oopm, going for a walk and then going back to my room for a cold meal - let's hear it "Ah, what a shame!" Actually it's no different from having a picnic in summer. I then read and turn in early as the traffic is bound to either keep me awake or wake me up. A little light academic reading helps me get to sleep.

Anyway, it's going to liven up tomorrow as I'm going to a Super 14 rugby match between the local team, the Highlanders, and the Reds who are bottom of the league. Super 14 comprises 14 teams (that bit should have been obvious!) from South Africa, Australia and New Zealand who travel around playing each other during the southern hemisphere autumn. I remember from last year's trip here that it was really fast, flowing rugby and very entertaining (though Viv may have a different view!). On one Saturday I was able to watch successive games from South Africa, Australia and then New Zealand - I sense a certain sympathy for Viv creeping in ...

I've also booked a ticket for a trip on the Taieri Gorge Railway (www.taieri.co.nz) on Saturday which is described as "One of the world's great train trips!" - well, they're not going to say it's boring, are they. Everyone tells me how good it is so I'm looking forward to that. No doubt more pictures will follow (and perhaps of the rugby).

No comments: